DGC 3700: Diploma in Guidance and Counselling
This is a one and half year course. By the end of this course, the trainee should be able to:
- Acquire knowledge and skills that will enable them to identify and offer guidance and counseling in the learning institutions.
- Acquire knowledge on diverse areas that affect learners in learning institutions e.g. substance abuse, sociology of the family, youth and sexuality, HIV/AIDS etc
- To set up a functional Guidance and Counseling Department in a learning institution
- Generate new knowledge by conducting research study in an area of interest related to the school/college set up
- Offer guidance and counseling services to learners with diverse needs in learning institutions. (Schools and colleges)
- Understand the ethical considerations in counseling and incorporate it in their practice
DGC 3701: Communication skills & ICT
DGC 3702: Personal Development.
DGC 3703: Guidance practice in Educational Settings.
DGC 3704: Theories of Counselling
DGC 3705: Counselling process & practice
DGC 3706: Research methods
DGC 3707: Theories of human growth
DGC 3708: Group counseling
DGC 3709: Professional studies
DGC 3710: HIV/AIDS
DGC 3711: Sociology of family
DGC 3712: Theories of career development.
DGC 3713: Health psychology
DGC 3714: Personality theories
DGC 3715: Abnormal behaviour & modification.
DGC 3716: Student Personnel services
DGC 3717: Substance abuse counselling
DGC 3718: Child and adolescent issues
DGC 3719: Project in an Educational set up
DGC 3720: Practicum in an Educational set up
- Minimum qualifications are KCSE C- or KCE Div. 2 or the equivalent
- Certificate in Community development, Social development, Social work, Community Health, Counseling and Psychology.
- Course open to Beginners, Development workers, Social workers, Project managers and Fresh students