DCAC 3800: Diploma in Child and Adolescent Counselling
This is a one and half year course. By the end of this course, the trainee should be able to
- Acquire knowledge and skills in children’s and adolescent psychology.
- Identify and be able to respond to youth challenges on diverse issues e.g. sexuality, personality, substance abuse ,HIV/AIDS etc
- Develop generic and specific skills needed in counseling children and adolescents
- Conduct psychological assessments for children and adolescents to diagnose and treat psychopathology in children and youth.
- Generate new knowledge by conducting a research study in an area of interest related to either youth or children.
- Offers guidance and counseling to children and youth in different settings e.g. schools, churches, community, private practice etc
- Understand the ethical considerations in counseling and incorporate them in their practice.
DCAC 3801: Communication skills & ICT
DCAC 3802: Personal Development.
DCAC 3803: Introduction to psychology
DCAC 3804: Theories of counselling
DCAC 3805: Techniques in child & adolescents counselling
DCAC 3806: Research methods
DCAC 3807: Theories of human growth
DCAC 3808: Group counseling
DCAC 3809: Professional studies
DCAC 3810: HIV/AIDS
DCAC 3811: Career counselling
DCAC 3812: Human sexuality
DCAC 3813: Health psychology
DCAC 3814: Personality theories
DCAC 3815: Abnormal behaviour & modification.
DCAC 3816: Psychological assessment for children & adolescent
DCAC 3817: Substance abuse counselling
DCAC 3818: Child and adolescent issues
DCAC 3819: Project with a focus on either children or adolescents
DCAC 3820: Practicum with a focus on children or adolescents
- Minimum qualifications are KCSE C- or KCE Div. 2 or the equivalent
- Certificate in Community development, Social development, Social work, Community Health, Counseling and Psychology.
- Course open to Beginners, Development workers, Social workers, Project managers and Fresh students